Saturday 28 May 2011

Never Let Me Go

It's kind of sad how I only manage to scrap together enough time to finish a novel when term ends. Anyway Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro was the first book I read this holiday and it was a good read.

The book is just about the simple story of how a couple of clones grew up and generally accepted the world they lived in. But it keeps you thinking. I can't stop wondering why Kathy, Ruth and Tommy didn't run away! Wouldn't that be the first thought in your mind if someone told you you are going to grow up to donate your vital organs away and eventually die? I would run, definitely. Even if I couldn't, I would try. I can't tolerate the quiet resignation they have for the lives meant for them.

The friendships among them makes me think too. Like how Kathy just left the Cottages, leaving everything hanging among them, how Ruth continuously tried to keep Kathy and Tommy apart. Yet in the end, they came back together as friends because they shared something deeper which nobody else was a part of. I guess, after many years, the lies, betrayal and rifts kind of just fade away from your memories and all that is left is the recognition that all of them shared a bond that runs deep.

I don't know if that is the case for me. Whether I will forget all the betrayals, all the rocks thrown at me while I was at my lowest, all the backs turned. I guess I will know twenty years later and maybe, just maybe, all I would remember is the deep bond that runs between friends and all the good memories shared.

No comments :

Post a Comment