Monday 30 May 2011

Fuk Kee Congee

This congee stall in the Mongkok area is close to where we were staying so we tried this on our first night there. It took awhile to find this small cafe because the bustling crowds along Mongkok certainly unsettled us. Look out for this big signboard which lights up at night just like all its colourful counterparts around Mongkok!

Since they were famous for congee, that was what I went for. I ordered a bowl of Century Egg and Pork Congee. You can say I'm fussy about my congee. I seldom eat porridge back at home because I think it simply taste too bland. The porridge we have back in Singapore is mostly the watery Teochew kind, in which you can still see the distinct grains in your porridge floating in a bowl of water. If you are lucky, you may find a stall which sells real congee, the kind which has been over the fire for the entire day and the grains have all disintegrated and you get this white mushy bowl of congee. But few in Singapore taste sweet and fragrant like the ones in Fuk Kee.



I love the sweetness of this smooth congee, the generous amount of pork and century egg slices and yes the pork is fresh!! The most important part of a Century Egg and Pork Porridge lies in the pork because the entire bowl is doomed if its laced with the distinctive taste of stale pork.

104-106 Fa Yuen Street, Mong Kok

No comments :

Post a Comment