Saturday 2 March 2013

Poulet Restaurant at Bugis+

The parents and I were trying very hard to decide between Poulet Restaurant or Yayoiken at Bugis+ (formerly Illuma). My dad eventually dug a coin out of his pocket, flipped it and the coin decided on Poulet Restaurant for us. So that was where we went for some French food.

The queue in front of Poulet was always amazingly long, so I was very thankful to find out that there was no queue that particular evening. Or rather, the queue had not started forming yet because shortly after we settled down and ordered, we glimpsed a queue of about 8 people beginning to form outside the restaurant.


Poulet's specialty is definitely the Poulet Roti (roast chicken) so that was the first thing we ordered. We took a full chicken for good measure as we were uncertain about the size of the portions. We also ordered the Iberico Pork Belly as another main course to share, the salad de Paris, sauteed wild mushrooms, fries and mash potatoes as sides. 

Salad de Paris was pretty decent, with some crunchy nuts tossed within. I like the salad dressing as it was tasty and light. 


The fries were all right. Nothing to rave about, but nothing to complain about either. They were just decent thick fries.


The sauteed wild mushrooms were chewy and tasty at first and the hard boiled egg with a soft yolk gave the dish an interesting twist. However, after a few bites, I realized that the dish was really very oily. The last few mushrooms at the bottom of the plate were sitting in a pool of uninviting oil, and it became so bad that I had to squeeze the oil out of the mushrooms. I wouldn't recommend this dish, not even if you like mushrooms like I do.


Finally the main course - Poulet Roti. The chicken was quite tender at certain parts but rather dry and tough at others. The cream sauce at the bottom of the bowl was tasty but the taste does not grow on you. In fact, after dipping my chicken in the sauce a few times, I began to feel that the sauce was just too creamy.

I forgot to take a picture of the Iberico Pork Belly but I have to say, the pork belly was pretty good! It was obviously slightly fatty but the fats do melt in your mouth and the meat was really tender.


To be fair, I was quite disappointed with my meal at Poulet. With the constant crowd milling around the restaurant, I would have thought that the food would be more inviting. 

Level 4 Bugis+



No comments :

Post a Comment