Monday 4 March 2013

Boss BarBQ at Clarke Quay

We bought a coupon for set lunch around the Clarke Quay area and Boss BarBQ was one of the participating outlets so we came by for lunch one day. Clarke Quay was rather quiet and deserted in the day and we hardly saw anyone in the area which would spring to life at night. We found Boss BarBQ easily enough. It is behind the taxi stand and opposite Mad For Garlic. If my memory serves me well, Yellow Jello used to be here with its retro music and pop-art design. 

We entered an empty restaurant which was eerily quiet. Feels weird to have lunch in a restaurant which was completely vacant but the tranquility meant that we could chat and catch up at ease. There is a large screen at the back of the restaurant showing various Korean Kpop music videos which was quite fun to watch while we ate and chat.



We ordered the Pork Bulgogi Set for 2 and the Boss BarBQ Chicken Set for 2 to share. The side dishes came first and they were pretty ordinary. Nothing much to shout about.


Each set came with a Kimchi Soup. They were very generous with the kimchi slices and the soup was full of juicy crunchy kimchi. The soup base was quite good as well. It was not thick and robust like the ones I have tried elsewhere but it was definitely better than the food court kimchi soup you might have tasted before.


The first thing that crossed my mind when the Pork Bulgogi Set was served was "That is certainly a very small portion for two people!" Even two ladies would certainly eat more than this for lunch. Or perhaps I should say, even two of me would eat more than this for lunch. The pork bulgogi was very ordinary. Skip it if you are here.


This was supposed to be their signature dish - Boss BarBQ Chicken Set. I say supposed because it was anything but. The sauce was thick and cloying and the chicken was not fresh. When i tried to pry a piece of meat off the bone, it was practically impossible. The meat was just stuck onto the bone which meant that either the chicken was not fresh or the frozen chicken was not thawed properly before it was cooked. Either way, it meant that I will never try this dish again.


All in all, Boss BarBQ was a huge disappointment. Thank goodness I came here using the coupon! I can't imagine my grief if I were to fork out cash for this place.

#01-04 Clarke Quay

No comments :

Post a Comment