Wednesday 5 December 2012

Swee Choon - Dim sum at night

I usually have dim sum for brunch with my family and more often than not, restaurants stop serving dim sum after lunch. So I was pleasantly surprised to hear about Swee Choon and the modest little restaurant that sells dim sum at night!

I dropped by for dinner after work one day and after much Google map navigation I managed to walk over from Farrer Park MRT station. Basically you just have to exit the MRT station and walk towards Jalan Besar, go by Komala and continue walking straight till you reach a junction. Then turn right, continue on your way and you should be able to see Swee Choon.

The restaurant takes up about 4 shop spaces, if I am not wrong, and the crowd was large considering that it was a weekday night. We went in and settled into one of the nearby booths. These little booths remind me of Hong Kong where all the cha chan tengs have little built-in booths and tiled floors. Swee Choon even have one of those old-school bells whereby you ring to get the waiter's attention. Not a need for the night though, since they were pretty well-staffed.


Picked up a paper menu from the side and started to tick away happily. The prices surprised me! A bowl of la mian was less than $6! To think I was spending so much more at places like Crystal Jade.



I ordered the Sour spicy la mian. The la mian was hand-made by a chef working hard at the back of the restaurant pulling dough and his hard work certainly did pay off. The la mian was springy and taut, soaking up the flavours of the spicy and sour soup. I love the soup too, it was comforting to eat something hot on a cold rainy day.


The dimsum we ordered include siew mai, har gao (shrimp dumpling), steamed pork ribs, fried prawn rolls and custard buns. Of these I would strongly recommend the fried prawn rolls, steamed pork ribs and custard buns. The fried prawn rolls were filled with fresh juicy prawns and the fried beancurd skin was just so crispy! The steam pork ribs were really tender and delicious. The custard buns were awesome, full of tasty salty egg yolk within.


The xiao long bao was average. I found the skin a bit too thick, which made it hard to enjoy the soup and meat inside.


If you have a craving for dim sum at night, do drop by Swee Choon for some cheap and delicious dim sum!

191 Jalan Besar

No comments :

Post a Comment