Sunday 17 April 2016

Two Chefs Eating Place, Commonwealth

Totally ignored this blog again. My backlog of draft posts is growing, and seriously, consistency is non-existent here. OH WELL. My bad but I was really working my butt off at work before I left for my 10 days break in Japan for my very first hanami!! The sakura was seriously too beautiful. When I finally get around to it, I shall do my travel posts for the places to view sakura in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka!

But anyway, here is one of my super outdated drafts.

To mark the start of the new year and to have an early birthday meal with my mum, we drove to Commonwealth for some zi char on a lazy Sunday evening. My mum found Two Chefs while searching online for zi char places and wanted to try it so we came here. She even took down a list of recommended food items so we knew what we wanted to order even before we sat down. I called to reserve a table for 4 earlier in the week and was quite thankful that I did because there was a crowd even at 5:30 pm. Unbelievable. 


The simple menu.



Drunken cockles ($7) with a dash of soya sauce, chilli slices, garlic bits and spring onions. Very nice and refreshing! This dish was served cold.


Salted egg chicken. I love anything salted egg so it came as no surprise that I was really fond of the flavour of this dish. The chicken was a little on the dry side, though.


Herbal chicken soup. I could not find this on the menu for some reason, or maybe I was just flipping through too quickly. But in any case, the waitress knew what we were talking about when we asked for herbal chicken so I guess it might be one of those off-the-menu special items? The herbal soup was very good though the chicken was also a little on the dry side.


Vegetable with eggs, salted egg and century egg ($8). Simple, homely dish.


Butter Pork Ribs ($8). What sorcery is this! I was totally expecting pork ribs sitting in a plate of thick butter sauce yet we were greeted by this mountain of white powder. I haven't quite figured out whether it was powdered Parmesan cheese or milk powder, but it certainly was not butter. The pork ribs were yummy and well-marinated but I cannot stop wondering where the butter went. 


Beancurd with golden mushroom ($8). Another simple homely dish.


Very simple zi char dishes at an affordable price. I would not say it deserves the large crowd gathered around the store on a weekend and we would not be driving to Commonwealth just for this anytime soon. But if you are staying nearby and would like some comfort zi char food, Two Chefs might just be the place for you. Personally, I also prefer zi char with more wok hei in the Cantonese style which might also be part of the reason I am not super fond of this place. 

 #01-129, 116 Commonwealth Crescent, 140116
Mon: 17:00 - 23:30
Tue - Sun: 11:30 - 14:30
Tue - Sun: 17:00 - 23:30
Closed on Every Last Mon of the Month
+65 64725361




No comments :

Post a Comment