Wednesday 3 September 2014

Char Restaurant, Guillemard Road

The first time I walked past Char (also known as Ch叉r) was en route to The Tuckshop for drinks with Stef and Sim Yee after a huge meal at Old Airport Hawker Centre. That was the meal when I somehow convinced them to overload on chicken wings and I had indigestion afterwards and could not finish my moscato. By the way, speaking about hawker centres, I love Old Airport Hawker Centre. There are just so so so many delicious food there and I am always spoiled for choice whenever I visit. Maybe I will do a post on Old Airport Hawker Centre but I just don't know where to start actually.

Back to Char. Sim Yee suggested coming to Char for our feast one evening after work and we agreed excitedly. I have to say this was the perfect place for a homely delicious meal! It was very crowded when we arrived but we managed to snag a small table in a corner and started flipping through the menu excitedly.


Char is well-known for their roasted meats so that was one item we definitely had to order. We chose the Triple Roast ($20.50) which allowed us to order 3 different types of roast meat. Sim Yee and I each had a Soup of the Day ($3) which was Duck with Salted Vegetable Soup. We also ordered a Minced Pork with Aubergine in Casserole ($14) and Sambal Spinach ($10).


The Duck with Salted Vegetable Soup ($3) was delicious. I love boiled soup and this bowl was really awesome! The soup was not too salty with a slightly sour aftertaste from the tomatoes. The duck was super tender. Ah I wish to have another bowl right now.  


The Triple Roast ($20.50) was served pretty quickly. We picked char siew, crispy pork belly, and roast duck. The char siew was truly legendary. Extremely well-grilled and tender, drenched in a delicious sweet sauce, the char siew melted in my mouth! The roast duck was pretty nice too, though I would take the duck in the soup any day since the roasted duck was understandably harder. The crispy pork belly was a disappointment though. Too many fatty parts which did not melt in my mouth and it was not sufficiently crispy. I would say give the crispy pork belly a miss and spend your calories on more char siew.


The Sambal Spinach ($10) was decent. Nothing to scream about, but pretty decent stir-fried vegetables with tasty sambal.


The Minced Pork with Aubergine in Casserole ($14) was another yummy dish! I love this casserole with soft mushy eggplant and minced pork in a light tasty sauce. This casserole went fantastically well with white rice and I would definitely recommend this if you visit Char.


Char is not a place where you could sit back and relax after your dinner for a nice chat over drinks. They started clearing up pretty early and we felt like we should probably head somewhere else to hang out once we were done with our food. We eventually settled down at The Hideout near Old Airport Road Hawker Centre for some ice cream before heading home that night.

We took Bus 197 from our office to Char and alighted along Guillemard Road. Char was a short walk from the bus stop.

68427759
Tue - Thur: 11:00 - 22:00
Fri - Sat: 11:00 - 00:00
Sun: 11:00 - 22:00
Closed on Monday

No comments :

Post a Comment