Friday 27 June 2014

The Fault in Our Stars - Movie

I blogged previously about the book here. I am not much into romantic stories usually and I am even less willing to spend $8.50 to watch a romance film. Romantic comedies and chick flicks fall into an entirely separate category because they make me laugh and I am willing to spend money on anything that makes me laugh. However, when The Fault in Our Stars was released in the cinema, I find myself asking my girlfriends whether they would like to catch the show with me. My boyfriend bravely volunteered his company but I know that he would a) fall asleep beside me while I cried; or b) laughed at me while I cried. Neither sounds enticing so I politely declined. 

I watched the movie with Stef and it was a great adaptation of the book. As I expected, I cried from the Amsterdam scene all the way till the end. Talk about being a crybaby. We talked about infinity after that and discussed Zeno's theories. Philosophy and mathematics just do not go well together. 

But something else hit me after the movie. Why is it that every love story which captures our attention involves some degree of tragedy or pain? Why do we all secretly crave for drama? We would probably never pick up a book or watch a movie that talks about a happily married couple having kids, working hard to send their kids to college, retiring together and spending their last few years in each other's wonderful company. Instead, we enjoy stories of crazy escapades, sad tragedies, ridiculous drama even though deep down inside we all crave a simple story for our own lives. 

Or perhaps we are bored. We are bored of the usual mundane routine and such drama provides a temporary outlet of release. A glimpse into an exciting life that is different from ours. We do not want such a lifestyle but we find it interesting nonetheless. 


No comments :

Post a Comment