Saturday 14 June 2014

Kin Kin Chilli Pan Mee, Macpherson Road

I wanted to try this since forever. My dad and I made a trip to Macpherson when Kin Kin Chilli Pan Mee first opened, unaware that their opening hours were 11 am till 8 pm. We reached bright and early at 9:30 am, well ahead of their opening time. As there was nothing in the vicinity for us to while 1 hour and 30 minutes away, we could only trudge back home in disappointment. There were numerous reports that the queue had become insane following our last meek attempt so we steered clear of the place. Eventually, my mum assessed that the crowd should have thinned considerably so we came by on Good Friday.

We reached at around 2 pm, well after lunch time, but the queue was still insane. We were also told that we had to wait about 45 minutes after we were seated before our noodles would be served. To sum it all up, we waited about 20 minutes for a table and another 40 minutes before we were served. That would make it a grand total of 1 hour for our bowl of pan mee. That was when I told myself, this had better be worth it.






We ordered the Signature Dry Chilli Pan Mee. The chilli, sitting in a tub at the side of the table, was definitely the highlight. The minced pork was quite all right but the bowl of noodles as a whole was quite forgettable.


We also ordered a bowl of Mixed Soup which came with bean curd skin and fish balls. Another forgettable soup - bland soup base and very ordinary ingredients.


If I were living around the Macpherson area and the wait at Kin Kin Chilli Pan Mee was shorter, I might contemplate returning for another bowl. But the long queue, inaccessible location, and highly forgettable food meant that I am unlikely to return in the near future. Maybe I should try the original store in KL and see whether the pan mee there is worth the hype. 

I took bus 62 from the bus stop near Kallang MRT and reached after a 15 minutes ride. Alight after the petrol station and Kin Kin Chilli Pan Mee will be across the road.

534 Macpherson Road
11 am to 9 pm


No comments :

Post a Comment