Sunday 21 October 2012

Victor's Kitchen

Dropped by for brunch with my family at Victor's Kitchen last Saturday morning before I headed home and promptly had a 3 hour nap before I crawled awake to meet the boyfriend.

Victor's Kitchen is a small little cafe at Sunshine Plaza which serves decent dim sum. I would not say the dim sum here is mind blowing, but I would return for more if I am in the area and I've consistently been returning for more. They used to have small tables lined up outside the shop as well but someone complained about the crowd or something and now the tables have disappeared and two No Queuing signs stand in their place. The queue remains, however, and the lady is seen running out many times to tell the customers to queue close to the shop and not crowd at the entrance of the neighbouring shops.


We were lucky when we got there and were seated immediately at an empty table for four. We ticked the menu quickly and went over to the counter to place our order. Of the dim sum that we ordered, I would recommend the glutinous rice, the pan fried cheong fun, the fried Xian Zhu Juan and of course, their iconic Golden Egg Yolk Lava Bun.

I like their glutinous rice as it is extremely soft and has fully absorbed the fragrance of the lotus leaf. When I was still studying, I used to buy one glutinous rice from Victor's Kitchen and packet this back to school so that I can eat during those times when I'm stuck with back to back classes or in one of those endless meetings.


The pan fried cheong fun is delicious such that is it slightly crisp on the outside yet soft within. I also like the Xian Zhu Juan as it is nicely fried with abundant filling. The carrot cake with XO sauce is not too bad as well but not impressive. The century egg porridge is sweet and very clear, not salty at all and tastes extremely healthy. As for their siew mai and ha gao (shrimp dumpling), I am not fond of either as the skin is too thick for both.



The main draw of the place is definitely the Golden Egg Yolk Lava Bun. The bun is fluffy and soft with a thin skin and a generous scoop of egg yolk inside. When you bite into the bun, expect hot delicious egg yolk to ooze out and make sure you don't waste a drop of that yumminess.



The cafe can get very cramped and crowded over the weekend and you may find yourself eating shoulder to shoulder with a stranger. While I was there eating brunch, I had to get out of my seat to allow two sets of customers to exit and they were awkwardly trying to maneuver around the chairs, tables and narrow space all at once. If that is not your cup of tea and you enjoy eating in luxury, this is not the place for you.

#01-21 Bencoolen Plaza

No comments :

Post a Comment