Tuesday 2 October 2012

Ah Chew Dessert

I absolutely love traditional chinese desserts. I love my green bean soup, my barley and gingko nuts and my double-boiled papaya and white fungus with almond. Chinese desserts are really very nourishing and good for health, whether you are feeling "heaty" after a heavy meal or queasy after an oily dinner. I used to visit this shop at Chinatown market where this old lady would boil pots of traditional desserts and serve them in small porcelain bowls. I have not seen the old lady since I was in my teens and some other people have taken over her shop but the taste is no longer the same.

Ah Chew proves to be a good place to go since my childhood favourite at Chinatown is no longer around. I always order the same double-boiled papaya and white fungus with almond because it's tasty and white fungus is good for the lungs and throats. You can have it hot or cold but I always opt for the hot one because it just feels weird to have cold double-boiled sweet soup.



Ah Chew is always crowded at night when everybody comes around for dessert after dinner. The staff can get quite rude sometimes when the queue is long and some customers tend not to queue and simply plonk themselves down on any available table. But the good desserts are certainly worth waiting for.

Ah Chew is along Liang Seah street, right opposite Bugis Junction. Get to the MOS Burger at Bugis Junction and cross the road. Walk down and you will see Ah Chew at your right.

1 Liang Seah Street #01-11

No comments :

Post a Comment