Thursday 13 September 2012

Baikohken Ramen

Not my favourite, but definitely still good. Baikohken Ramen at North Canal Road is a short 10 minute walk from my office and serves as a convenient meeting point for me to meet friends working at Raffles Place. So it was here that I had lunch the other day with my friends over a bowl of hot delicious Ramen.


I've been here twice so far, once for the Shoyu Ramen and the second time for the Miso Ramen. My order has always been the half-sized bowl since it fills me up pretty well and I don't see a reason to pay a couple extra bucks for a slightly bigger bowl. Of the two, I personally prefer the Shoyu Ramen as the soup base was lighter and more easy on the stomach for a lunch. The soup base of the Miso Ramen was heavier and thicker and left me feeling very very stuffed. The Miso Ramen also came with more beansprouts than ramen and I felt deprived of my noodles. The char siew for both were nothing much to rave about but it was decent.


You can choose to sit in air-conditioned comfort inside the shop or outdoors but you usually end up having to sit outdoors if you are dropping by during lunch since this place proves to be a hot favourite in the area. There are seats on the second floor too but the staff might not be willing to take you up if they are trying to clear everyone and keep people downstairs.

All in all, it's good ramen in this area but definitely not the best around town. To get there, you can alight at Raffles Place and walk to Boat Quay's McDonald's. When you reach Macs, cross the small road behind the shophouse and walk straight down. You should see Baikohken on your right next to a beef noodle store. Alternatively, if you are alighting at City Hall, the walk is longer and you have to make your way past the Parliament House till you reach BK Eating House, turn left and walk all the way down to Molly Malone. Turn right and you would see Baikohken. 

7 North Canal Road

No comments :

Post a Comment