Wednesday 15 August 2012

Nantsuttei Ramen

The first time I visited Nantsuttei was a long while back when I was still in school and this bowl of ramen was awesome comfort food after a sucky day pawing through books. The second time back was just as fulfilling and I asked for a counter seat this time so that I can watch the chef at work!

The ramen was done just right, springy and taut yet not too hard. After watching the chef at work, I concluded that the secret to springy ramen is a matter of... science and automation. The chef dropped the ramen into hot water and after the desired amount of time had passed, a sieve automatically sieved the ramen out of the water! It's efficient, effective and captures the noodle at its best. No more human error! Although I must confess, I'm always more impressed when I watch the chef cook the ramen and scoop them out after what he thinks is the right amount of time without so much as glancing at the clock. 


I love the smell of garlic oil but if truth be told, I felt kind of queasy halfway through the bowl of ramen. It was good solid ramen with a robust broth that was full of flavour but I guess my stomach just was not used to that large amount of oil. Which is such a pity since Nantsuttei is famous for its garlic oil. 

Nantsuttei is at Parco Marina Bay. To get there by MRT, take the Circle Line to Promenade Station and walk to Exit A. You should see Parco Marina Bay once you step off the escalator.

9 Raffles Boulevard #P3-06 Parco Marina Bay, Millenia Walk, Singapore





No comments :

Post a Comment