Wednesday 19 June 2013

Grub, Bishan Park

I can sum up my entire experience with Grub in just one phrase - completely and utterly unworthy of the long wait. We took the MRT to Bishan, hopped onto a bus and alighted opposite Bishan Park where Grub is. A snaking long queue greeted us at the door of Grub when we piled into the place. It was a very small cafe with a handful of tables indoors and a couple outdoors which probably explained why there was such a large crowd waiting at the door. We left our name and were told that the wait will probably be 45 minutes to an hour. Crazy long wait, but I thought, hey! If the food's good, I can totally handle waiting in the heat for an hour. It was an insanely hot Sunday so we found some shade in Bishan Park, sat down and started catching up.



An hour came and went and still no call from Grub so we trudged back to the cafe to see how were things moving along. The people at the table we were allocated were not ready to leave, so we waited patiently at the door while the ladies took another 30 minutes to finish their coffees. Finally we were ushered into the cafe after a 1 hr 30 minutes wait. At that point, all I could say was, this had better be worth it.

It was not. I was bored of the usual English breakfast so I ordered a fish burger with an orange juice. We also grabbed a waffle and some churros to share.


I have to say my fish burger looked delicious when it arrived. Just look at it, the fish fillet was way larger than the bun, the lettuce looked crisp and fresh, and the fries looked sinfully crispy. All it took was one slice through the burger to know that appearances were deceiving. The fish fillet flaked beneath my knife and I was mildly surprised. Good fish fillet was not supposed to be like that. It was supposed to come apart cleanly in nice juicy pieces. It tasted really ordinary. The fish fillet was dry and kind of bland and everything else was just normal. The fries were decent, but like I always say, I could get good fries at MacDonalds within 5 minutes from my office so no, I don't think I would rate that as something so highly desirable that I would want to wait 1 hour 30 minutes for.  


The churros were so sweet and I do not mean it in a good way. There was just too much sugar coated on the churros and all of us were trying to scrape some off before putting the churros into our mouths. It got so bad that one of my friends stopped the waitress and told her to tell the chef that he should put less sugar on the churros in future. Yes I completely agree. The churros could do with less sugar.


The waffles was probably the only thing at Grub that was nice. It was not terrific but it was nice enough, though I have definitely tasted fluffier waffles elsewhere. 


Grub is one of those places that serves average decent food which I would not mind coming back for if the crowd dissipates and I am in the vicinity. I would not make a purposeful trip to Grub again and especially not with the insane queue at the door.

510 Ang Mo Kio Ave 1

No comments :

Post a Comment