Friday 12 April 2013

Doong Ji Korean Restaurant, Katong

Ahhhhhh rainy Saturday afternoon when I'm writing this post. This week has been interesting, but the weather has been so erratic. I hate the insanely hot mornings and rainy late afternoons. Why does it have to be so hot when I'm making my way to work??

Met up with Stef on Thursday and we decided to have korean food at Doong Ji along Katong. It is right beside Coriander and is a small little Korean Restaurant tucked away in the row of shop houses. The place was already quite crowded when I entered and I'm thankful Stef reached earlier to snag a table for us near the door. 

Our initial plan was to get a bibimbap and a soup to share. But just when we were about to order, we spied the steamboat sitting on the table at the back of the room and it looked so good! Hot soup in a big pot over a steady flame. We were debating whether we would be able to finish the whole pot by ourselves and whether it would be wiser to keep this option in view for the next time we head here with more people. But being the stubborn, ambitious, (and stupid) girl that I am, I declared loudly that we would definitely be able to finish it and somehow convinced Stef to go along with me. HAHA why do we always have to do insane stuff together?? But yes, so we ordered the Seafood Steamboat gleefully.

IT WAS HUGE. 


When it arrived, we started scooping it out happily, all the octopus, prawns, crab, tofu, rice cake, instant noodles and mushrooms. The soup was thick and rich, spicy and delicious, absorbing the essence from all the seafood soaked in it. The seafood was very fresh and sweet, and I was really impressed when we found a small crab inside the steamboat! 

The side dishes were good too. I was particularly fond of the potato chunks in dark sauce while Stef liked the vermicelli. 


We were so so so stuffed when we were about halfway through the steamboat. I felt so bloated and was very thankful that I wore a dress that day so there was no waist band cutting into my burgeoning belly. We had to pause for a bit to resume our chatting so that our food could digest a little more and we could accommodate more food afterwards. Eventually we decided that we could chew no more octopus so those were the first to be neglected. We strive to finish the prawns and crab so we did. 

Too much food gave me a sugar rush apparently, and I couldn't stop laughing about something (which I have cleanly forgotten what it was). It was a total seafood overload and oh my goodness, when I stumbled out of the shop, I cannot remember when was the last time I made such a bad decision in selecting my food. 

In any case, I had indigestion the next day and was very very fidgety at work the whole day because my stomach just felt so weird. Sigh. I've learnt my lesson - always order in moderation. Shucks. I should be more disciplined and less greedy.

Read about Part 2 of Doong Ji here

222 East Coast Road

No comments :

Post a Comment