Monday 12 March 2012

Dennis gym @ kallang

I finally made a trip down to the Dennis gym at Kallang over the weekend to resume my workout. I've been stranded without a gym since forever and have started my weekly runs along Kallang river much to my irritation because my rashes flare up in that heat. So I was extremely happy and excited when Dennis gym started operations at the newly renovated Geylang West CC which is a mere five minutes walk from my house.


I reached the gym at about 1 plus after my sunday brunch and realized that there was only one other user in the gym. In fact in the whole hour I was there, I only saw two other gym users. It costs $5 per entry for the main gym and I was told that I wasn't allowed into the ladies gym unless I signed a membership with them. I didn't so I stayed in the main gym. However, senior citizens can enter the elderly gym with the $5 entry fee.

(Update 21 August 2012: There are slightly more users now, mostly male, but it's never so crowded that I have to queue for the equipment. Some of the staff are quite proactive and take the initiative to help you with the machines if you have any difficulty with them. They are all very nice and friendly, very willing to help.)

The gym is small but very clean. It does not have the large array of equipment that I'm used to back in my school gym or the Tampines ClubFitt gym and most of the equipment would be better suited for male users. On hindsight, I figured that is why the ladies gym is separated from the main gym as the equipment in the ladies gym is definitely more suited for us female users.

Location wise, I would say it's quite out of the way unless you live in the area (like me) and can simply walk over. The nearest mrt station is kallang mrt and the walk to the community center would take another 5 minutes or so. Not that bad if you consider it warming up. As I walked back home to bathe, I did not really notice if there were any shower facilities near the gym.

All in all, I'm glad that there is finally a gym near my house. It is twice as expensive as the per entry rate at Clubfitt and the suitable equipment remains lacking unless I sign up for their membership. However, if I compare the rates at other established gyms, I find the $5 per entry still acceptable.

To get to Dennis Gym by MRT, you can alight at Kallang MRT and take the left exit when you are leaving the station. Walk straight along the road and you will see a bus stop with buses like 31, 21, 26, 961, 985 and 853. Continue walking till you reach the road junction. Cross the road and turn right. Continue walking down along the road, past a row of shops and you will see the basketball court of the community centre. Dennis Gym is on the second floor.

No comments :

Post a Comment