Friday 5 April 2013

De Burg Burgers

We were around the Alexandra area, shopping at Queensway Shopping Centre and Ikea, when I suddenly recalled a friend mentioning De Burg Burger recently. There were a lot of food options nearby; we could have stayed at Ikea for the usual poached salmon and meatballs, or we could have walked over to Alexandra Village Food Centre for good zi char at a fraction of the price. But we were keen on trying De Burg Burger so we drove out of Ikea and went for Block 119 Bukit Merah Lane 1.

It was actually really close to Ikea. We didn't have to drive at all (though I was glad we left Ikea's car park since the parking was so exorbitant) as De Burg was in a coffee shop that was within walking distance from both Ikea and Queensway Shopping Centre. The coffee shop faces the OG Factory, next to Alexandra Village Food Centre, and near the nest of car workshops behind.

We were hungry but we were too early. The kitchen only opens at 6:30pm so we had to make do with a cup of soya bean milk for 45 minutes before zooming back promptly when they switched the lights on signalling the start of the evening shift. 

De Burg takes up one side of the large airy coffee shop and it is hard to miss the eye-catching signboard and pictures of burgers all over the place. I approached the stall eagerly and snatched up the menu placed neatly in the tray. 



The large selection of burgers!!! I've heard many good things about the beef burgers but sadly I don't take beef so I'm stuck with either pork or chicken burgers. As you can see from the picture below, some of the burgers have two prices, one in blue and one in green. The blue-coloured pricing indicates the cost of the 100g burger while the prices in green indicate the same burger at 200g. The 100g burger comes with one side while the 200g burger comes with 2 sides. After much deliberation, I decided to go for the 200g Asian Chicken Burger which was marked as very popular in the menu while the boyfriend took the Bacon Cheese which was also very popular.




I practically leaped out of my seat the minute the signboard lit up and made a dash for the cashier but alas, the little girl and her mum reached the counter faster than I did. I'm obviously getting too old and slow on my feet. Standing patiently in line, waiting for my turn eagerly while watching the screen rolling out advertisements about their burgers at the side. It was my turn soon enough, and I discovered with much glee that civil servants are entitled to 5% off! So do tertiary students from NUS/NTU/SMU etc. They handed me one of the buzzers that rings when my food is ready so I need not stand in line waiting for my food!


My buzzer rang and I made another dash for the counter to retrieve my burgers. This is my Asian Chicken Burger with salad and chips as my sides. The salad with balsamic vinegar and Olive Oil was tasty and the greens were crisp and crunchy. The fries were thick and crispy. But the best part was definitely the burger! I love the chicken patty with salted egg sauce. It had this unique salty taste and the patty was soft and juicy. The 200g burger was huge and whilst I could finish my burger, I was struggling with the last few fries. Felt like such a waste to let the fries go though...


Strongly recommended for those who would make the trip down to Alexandra for a burger or who live in the area or who are simply around Ikea and Queensway Shopping Center like I was.

119 Bukit Merah Lane #01-40

Update: De Burg has closed. Will do another blog post when their new shop at CT Hub is ready!

No comments :

Post a Comment