Friday 4 October 2013

Platypus Kitchen, Bugis Junction

I was always keen to check out Platypus Kitchen but I did not have the opportunity for a long time. The amusing thing is, when I have the opportunity to check out Platypus Kitchen, I ended up having it twice in one week! Once for dinner with my family and the second time with my friends from office for lunch.

Platypus Kitchen at Bugis Junction takes the place of the previous V8 cafe. I expected it to be relatively crowded but it was rather empty for both lunch and dinner. In fact, there was only another two tables on the night I was there.


The set meals are divided into the $16.90 sets and the $19.90 sets. Both sets come with a salad or soup, a drink, and the main.


The salad which came with the set was very average. The rocket leaves and tomatoes were fresh but the dressing was very bland.


My mum chose the V8 Chicken Roulade. The chicken thigh was very tender and well-marinated. However the sauce was a little too salty. The mash potatoes were pretty good and smooth.


The Angry Chicken Pasta which my Dad ordered was average, nothing much to rave about. It tastes like how average Arrabiata pasta would taste.


My brother's Squid Ink Scallop Ragout. This pasta dish was below average. I felt that the taste of squid ink was really faint and the pasta was quite bland.


My crispy salmon. The waiter asked if I was ok with the salmon being 70% cooked because the crispy salmon would taste better if it were crispy outside and slightly raw and tender within. I agreed but when the salmon arrived, it was definitely thoroughly cooked. That said, the crispy salmon was indeed good. The skin was very crispy and tasty, and the salmon was fresh. The sauce was kind of salty though, but it went pretty well with the salmon.


The bruschetta was very ordinary. I dare say I make better bruschetta with fresher ingredients.


The truffle fries were fantastic! I'm always super fond of truffle fries and the fries at Platypus Kitchen were awesome. The fries were thick and chunky just the way I like it and the fragrance of truffle oil was enticing. The smell of truffle oil was in fact the first thing I noticed when I sat down and the smell lured me to order the truffle fries.


I came back for lunch with some friend from the office and decided to go with the soup this time since the salad was quite meh previously. The mushroom soup was thick and substantial with bits of mushroom inside.


I ordered the Lemon Prawn Parppadelle and this pasta dish was really good. The prawns were fresh and crunchy and I liked the combination of prawns with chewy parppadelle and sweet tomatoes. It was indeed one good dish, I would recommend this if you are heading to Platypus.


Service was decent. My only grouse was the small tables. When I visited Platypus Kitchen with my family and we ordered 4 set meals with a couple of sides, our table ended up being completely cluttered. There was hardly enough space to place everything and we were all just crammed together. It would be good if they purchased larger tables for 4 people. But other than that, Playtpus Kitchen is definitely a place for good value for money set meals.

#03-29 Bugis Junction

No comments :

Post a Comment