Friday 28 March 2014

The Sushi Bar, Far East Plaza

I discovered The Sushi Bar at Far East Plaza when I was wandering around Far East Plaza while the boyfriend went for a hair cut. The snaking queue started from the door of the Sushi Bar and extended to the corridor. I made a mental note to come back one day when I was ready to queue for what promised to be awesome sushi.

The day came when I fixed a date with the best friend for our sushi night. I managed to reach slightly after 7 pm and rushed to The Sushi Bar so that I could join the queue quickly. It was a weekday night and there were approximately 20 people ahead of me in the queue. 

The best friend made a quick trip to Old Chang Kee and bought us some snacks so that we could chew on something during the wait. It took us approximately 20 minutes before we were led into the restaurant. Be prepared to wait even longer if you are coming with a large party.

The Sushi Bar was a small, cozy, no frills restaurant. Plastic tables and chairs were arranged in neat rows in one room, while the kitchen was in another room. We ordered quickly because we were just so famished.

The Basic Chirashi Don came with cubes of salmon, tuna, and hamachi sashimi as well as fish roe. The waitress informed us that the sashimi in the Basic Chirashi Don would be in cubes instead of slices and we agreed. Go for the more expensive chirashi don if you fancy slices of sashimi instead of cubes. 

Our Basic Chirashi Don was delicious. The sashimi was very fresh and juicy. The sushi rice was tangy and light. I have to admit that I am used to sashimi slices in my chirashi don instead of cubes but it was a nice change. The portion was also very generous. 


The Salmon Aburi Roll was terrific. Seared salmon wrapped neatly around sushi rice and cucumber. It was delicious! The Salmon Aburi Roll tasted light, fresh, and very tasty. It was not as heavy as the Shiok Maki at Koh Grill and Sushi Bar.


The Hotate Mentaiyaki was another winner. Fresh scallops were lightly seared with mentaiyaki on top. The scallops were so juicy and sweet! I would definitely have this again when I return.


The Sushi Bar serves good sushi and fresh sashimi. Service is sufficient and efficient, but not overwhelmingly fantastic. There is not much ambience to speak of and everything in The Sushi Bar is simple and plain. But if you are here solely for the food, I am certain you will not be disappointed.

#03-89 Far East Plaza
14 Scotts Road
Mon - Sun 11:30 - 21:30

No comments :

Post a Comment